I have finally finished one of my DIY projects, and this one had been sitting
around my bedroom for months if not, dare I say, a year. I am not going to
post detailed instructions because I got my directions from here.
Be sure to visit the site for detailed instructions, her headboard is gorgeous!
I have posted the basics on how I made my own.
I have to say that I did not drill holes on the headboard, nor did I sew my
fabric covered buttons on. That is too much work, so I stapled each section
and hot glued the buttons on.
I also did not really measure, but eyeballed where I was going to staple each
section. I know, I know, not smart, but even though it's not perfect, it's done and
it's mine to enjoy.
I already had a headboard made of wood scrap from our garage, so we
purchased a flat piece of wood to cover the front of the board.
I purchased two packs of the Dritz Craft Cover Button Kit - Size 30,
it completely depends on the size of your headboard, you may need three.
I already had my fabric on hand, it was about 3 to 4 yards. I have a
queen size bed.
I purchased a Mainstays 1.25" Convoluted Foam Topper Size: Queen which I
folded in half for cushion. You may most certainly get a
Psst! Walmart carries this foam.
I also used matting that I had on hand.
I used a Mini Hot Glue Gun with Melt Glue Sticks ,
already had one on hand a Staple Gun Kit.
Then I went to work. I covered about 30 buttons for this headboard.
The kit explains how to cover them with fabric.
I opened the foam package and folded the foam over the headboard. I noticed that the edges/
sides were left exposed. So I cut a piece of the foam to cover each side as seen in the images.
I stapled the foam onto the headboard as seen above. Then I covered that with matting and
stapled it in place.
I then placed the fabric over the matting. I just draped it over & made sure it covered
all the sides well.
Before I secured the fabric, I measured how far apart I wanted my buttons to be; below
you will see that I folded seams to have an idea how far apart they should be
and I marked it with a white pencil.
When I was ready to secure the fabric at the top, I stapled it in the back to hold it in place.
After the fabric was secured at the top, I began to staple the areas that the buttons would
go on the first row. In the areas that I needed adjustments, I simply removed the staples
with a staple remover and re stapled my mark. I continued stapling the 4 rows and finally
the edges on the sides and bottom to hold the fabric in place.
When it was all secured and stapled in place, I added the buttons with hot glue, pressed
it hard and held in in place for about 15 seconds. Then it was done, just like that. I think
the hardest part was making sure the rows were straight and the same distance apart.
There you have it, my tufted headboard.
Thank you for visiting and Happy Crafting!